New for 2020 is a 50K race! All 50K runners will receive a swag bag with goodies, a technical running shirt and a dinner voucher. During registration there is an option to purchase burrito breakfasts for the runner’s family, friends and support crews. The breakfast will be served at the Pine Trailhead from 8:00 AM until about 10:30 AM by the Mountain Village Foundation, a local Pine non-profit.
You will begin the 50K course going eastward from the Pine Trailhead on the Highline Trail #31, which is part of the Arizona Trail, for 8.6 miles to Aid Station #1 at the Geronimo Trailhead.
From there, go back westward about 0.4 miles on the Highline Trail and then turn right (north) on the Geronimo Trail #240. Go 1.9 miles on the Geronimo Trail, then bear left onto the West Webber Trail #228 and stay on it for 2.0 miles to the top of the Mogollon Rim, where you come to Aid Station #2 at Milk Ranch Point Road, Forest Road (FR) 218.
Go right (north) on FR 218 for 3.5 miles, then bear left onto FR 218A. Go 1.5 mile on FR 218A to FR 300, and continue straight for less than 0.1 mile on FR 300 where you come to the General Crook Trail #130 just before a big pond and grassy area on the left known as Baker Lake. Turn left (westward) on the Crook Trail and follow it 1.5 miles to FR 6038. Turn left on FR 6038 and pass through a wire gate. Aid Station #3 is located just past the gate under some big Ponderosa pine trees.
Follow FR 6038 southward for a few hundred feet, until the dirt road merges onto the Pine Canyon Trail #26. Follow the Pine Canyon Trail southward. After about 0.5 mile, it drops steeply off the Mogollon Rim into Pine Canyon. Stay on the Pine Canyon Trail for 7.3 miles to Aid Station #4, at the junction with Good Enough Trail.
From there, continue southward on the Pine Canyon Trail for another 2.3 miles to the Pine View Trail #28. Turn left and follow the Pine View Trail for 1.3 miles to its junction with the Highline Trail. Continue straight ahead onto the Highline Trail/Arizona Trail westbound, and go 1.0 miles to the finish at the Pine Trailhead where you started.
Getting to the Start
The 50K race is a loop race that will start and end at the Pine Trailhead in the Tonto National Forest just off Highway 87 about a quarter mile south of Pine, Arizona (link for map location). Free parking is off Hwy 87, just N. of mile marker 266. All runners will be bused from the parking area to the Pine Trailhead. Please do not try to park at the Pine Trailhead.
There will be a gear drop at the starting line (you can use your swag bag; it will have a bib tag attached). We can transport drop bags to aid stations, 1, 2 or 3 – please include the station number on the bag tag. If your bag doesn’t have a station indicated on the tag it will be held for you at the Pine Trailhead. When each aid station closes the drop bags left at the station will be returned to the Pine Trailhead.
- Friday May 1st
- 5:00 PM – 7:00 PM Late registration & packet pickup, Ponderosa Market, Pine (Hwy 87 & Hardscrabble Mesa Rd.)
- Race Day – Saturday, May 2nd
- 5:00 AM – 5:30 AM: Parking & packet pickup, parking area (Hwy 87, just N. of mile marker 266 – watch for event signs) – There is no race day registration for the 50K race
- 5:30 AM: Mandatory prerace brief, at parking area
- 5:45 AM: Start loading buses
- 6:00 AM: Race start, Pine Trailhead
- 6:00 AM – 11:30 AM: Bus transportation available between parking area & Pine Trailhead
- 10:00 PM: Time limit to leave aid station #1
- 12:30 PM: Time limit to leave aid station #2
- 3:00 PM: Time limit to leave aid station #3
- 5:30 PM: Time limit to leave aid station #4
- 7:00 PM: Time limit to finish
Note: Finisher and place awards will be given to runners as they finish
- Medals for all finishers
- Medals for top 3 finishers in each 10 year age group
- Plaques for top 3 female and male overall finishers
Participation in the Pine Trail Run 50k is open to runners twelve years of age and older and is limited to 75 runners.
- Register by December 31, 2019: $80
- Register by February 29, 2020: $90
- Register by April 21, 2020: $95
- Register onsite May 1 & May 2: $100
Online registration ends April 21, 2020 ($3 processing fee for online registration).